Effect of Drying Temperature and Time on Gesho Leaf Major Beer Brewing Components
Beer is typically brewed from four basic ingredients (water, a starch source, brewer’s yeast and flavoring agent such as hops). In Ethiopian case hops are coasty ingredient of beer which is imported with hard currency of the country. But this flavoring agent (hops) in beer production can also be substituted by locally available flavouring agent called gesho “Rhamuns Prinoide” leaf. In this study the effect of drying temperature and time on brewing components of gesho “Rhamuns Prinoide” leaf was examined using oven dryer. Brewing components of gesho “Rhamuns Prinoide” leaf were compared by taking the commercial hop brewing component as a standard. Drying temperature and time have a significant effect (P< 0.05) on major beer brewing components (Resin, Hop oiland Polyphenol ) of gesho leaf. Not only drying temperature and time but also the interaction effect has significant effect on these major brewing components of the leaf. The optimal drying temperature and time of gesho leaf was also determined to commercialize the gesho leaf powder or pellet as hop substitute in commercial beer brewers as flavouring agent.
Gesho, Hop, Hop oil, Polyphenol and Resin
- Madsen, E.S., Wu, Y., Marketing and Globalization of the Brewing Industry, in: Cabras, I., Higgins, D., Preece, D. (Eds.), Brewing, Beer and Pubs. Palgrave Macmillan UK, London, pp. 34–60, 2016.
- De Cooman, L., Aerts, G., Overmeire, H., Alteration of the Profiles of Iso-Alpha-Acids During Beer Ageing Marked Instability of Trans-Iso-Alpha-Acids and Implication for Beer Bitterness, Consistency in Relation to Tetrahydroiso-Alpha-Acids. Journal of institute of brewing,106, 2000, 169–178.
- Versele, M. and De Keukeleire, D., Chemistry and analysis of hop and beer bitter acids, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1991.
- Kunze, W., Technology of Brewing and Malting. 7th Edn. VLB Berlin, Germany, 1996.
- Ashenafi, M., A review on the microbiology of indigenous fermented foods and beverages of Ethiopia. Ethiopian journal biological sciences, 5(2), 2006, 189-245.
- Berhanu A., Microbial profile of Tella and the role of gesho (Rhamnus prinoides) as bittering and antimicrobial agent in traditional Tella (Beer) production. Journal internation food research 21(1), 2013, 23-35.