Evaluations of Soil Fertility Status of Bulala and Harawa Farms of Bale Zone, Ethiopia.
A study with the objective of identifying the fertility status of soils under crop production farming system was conducted. For this study, two farms were selected purposively from South Eastern Ethiopia: Bulala farm from Gololcha district and Harawa farm from Ginir district of Bale Zone of Oromia. The two farms were found under the same management conditions and were categorized in blocks prior to the start of the study. Based on this soil samples were collected randomly from blocks of the two farms. Then the collected samples were submitted to Ziway Soil laboratory and were analyzed based on the standard procedure and they fertility status were categorized. The result revealed that the texture of the farms ranged from clay to sandy loam. Soil pH ranged from moderately acidic to moderately alkaline while EC in the very low rate in both farms. Total N was categorized under low to medium range. Organic carbon ranged from low to high while available P ranged from very low to high range. Available K ranged is in the high category. The CEC was grouped under the moderate to the very high category. Regarding the Exchangeable bases, exchangeable Na is categorized as a very low rate while the rates for the K, Ca and Mg were under the high category. Hence, the addition of organic and inorganic fertilizers based on the soil test based results, improving cultural practice to improve CEC and the activity of soil organisms to have the optimum and sustainable productivity of farmlands is advisable
Organic Carbon, Soil Test, Fertilizer, Exchangeable Bases, Soil Fertility
- Amuri N, Semu E, Msanya BM, Mhoro L & Anthony JM. 2010. Evaluation of the soil fertility status in relation to crop nutritive quality in the selected physiographic units of Mbeya Region, Tanzania. Research Application Summary. Second RUFORUM Biennial Meeting 20 – 24 September 2010, Entebbe, Uganda.
- Brady N.C., and R.R.Weil.., 2002. Nature and Properties of Soils. 13th ed. New York, USA.
- Brady NC & Weil RR. 2002. The nature and properties of soil, 13th Ed. Preason Education, Asia.
- Bremner JM & Mulvaney CS. 1982. Methods of soil analysis: in Chemical and microbiological properties, ASA Monograph number 9. . pp. 595-624
- Chapman HD. 1965. Cation exchange capacity. In: C.A. Black, L.E. Ensminger and F.E Clark (eds). Methods of soil analysis. American society of Agronomy. 9: 891-901
- Day PR. 1965. Particle fractions and particle size analysis. In: C A. Black (Ed). pp. 546-566 .
- ECACC. 2002. A Report on Preliminary Results of Area, Production and Yield of Temporary Crops (Meher Season Private Peasant Holding), Part II, on Ethiopian Agricultural Sample Enumeration, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Fasil K. 2002. Analysis of Yield Gap for Wheat Cultivation in the Highlands of North Ethiopia. Ph.D. Thesis, Gent University, Belgium.
- Gupta P.K. 2000. Soil plant water and fertilizer analyses. Agrobis India. 438p.
- Hazelton P. & Murphy B. 2007. Interpreting Soil Test Results: What Do All The Numbers Mean? NSW Department of Natural Resources, CSIRO Publishing, Australia.
- Jackson ML. 1973. Soil Chemical Analysis. 2nd Edition. Prentice Hall of India Private Limited, New Delhi, India.
- Landon JR. 1991. Booker Tropical Soil Manual: A handbook for soil survey and
agricultural land evaluation in the tropics and sub tropics. Longman Inc., New York.
- Mishelia A. & Zirra EM. 2015. Application of Geographic Information System (G.I.S.) In Evaluating Suitable Areas for Wheat Cultivation in Adamawa State Nigeria. International Journal of Scientific Knowledge 6(1): 14 – 22.
- Okalebo JR, Gathua KW & Womer PL. 2002. Laboratory methods of soil and plant analyses: a working manual, 2nd Ed. TSBF – CIAT and SACRED Africa, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Olsen SR, Cole CV, Watanabe FS & Dean LA. 1954. Estimation of Phosphorus in soils by extraction with sodium bicarbonate. USDA, Circular 939.
- Sharma A.K. 2002. Handbook of organic farming. Agrobios, India.
- Sun B, Zhou S, & Zhao Q. 2003. Evaluation Of Spatial And Temporal Changes Of Soil Quality Based On Geostatistical Analysis In The Hill Region Of Subtropical China. Geoderma 115: 85–99
- Von Reeuwijk LP. 1992. Procedures for soil analysis. International soil reference and information center (ISRIC) Wageningen, The Netherlands. 23p